Sunday 22 July 2007

A river runs through it.....

When I arrived at the canal at Drayton Manor it looked rather more full than usual! At the marina there was a lot of fuss and panic. People were rushing about loosening off the mooring ropes to prevent the longboats from flipping over.


Many of the boats were upping stakes and leaving....All these things should have set alarm bells ringing in my head, but no. Off I went paddling merrily ever onwards....



After a while, I noticed the river on my left was getting kind of....big! Still, it seemed to be a way off still, so I carried on. Paddling began to get increasingly difficult. There was definitely a current forming. I didn't think much of it at first, you often get a bit of movement if the locks are being used a lot.







Then... all of a sudden the water acquired a peculiar 'glassy' look, really odd, a bit like the when a bathtub is about to overflow... The level raised and the towpath disappeared underwater. The canal started to cascade over the sides and the slight current increased to a running speed. Sensing danger, I got the camera out. After quickly snapping a couple of shots, I decided it was time to go!


The river had risen so much it had met the canal and now the two were one. Paddling furiously downstream, I picked up quite a speed and was relieved when the flow began to abate. Even when I was back on still water I carried on at a great knots, scared that the river might catch up.





I was so glad to get back to the car. I quickly loaded up, and just in the nick of time. The water was rising and the small fish under the car weren't a good sign. Hastily scooping them back into the deeper water, I made my escape......






4 comments:

Angela Marie said...

Wow! You are brave and I think a bit of a curious george. I say that all in a good way. Life will never be boring.

I think the little fish under the car is a sign that you got to it in just a nick of time. You may have rowed(?) right past it.

vicci said...

Whoa...this sounds pretty scary! Looks like you made it just in time! :-)

Lavender said...

Wow, Im glad you got in safely. What a wild ride! We just heard of the floods on the news last night, what a heartache for all involved. I hope your place is on higher ground - be safe!

"M2" said...

That reminds me of hurricane time in florida.... canoeing in the streets to the neighbors house. kinda fun though.
Has the sun come out yet????