Tuesday 12 February 2008

THE INTERNATIONAL SPACE notSTATIONary.....

With all this clement weather we are having, and therefore clear night skies, I actually managed to spot the International Space Station. Look, I even got a photo. What do you mean you can't see it?
Hang on, I'll zoom in a bit. See? Yes I know there's a lot of motion blur. I had to use a long shutter, and what with it being over 240 miles up in the sky and travelling at over 17,000 miles per hour there was a bit of unwanted movement.
Here's some video I snatched. It wasn't really darting about like this, but scribing a horizontal path. It was only visible for a few seconds, not surprising as it manages an orbit in 91 minutes!
OK, I've enhanced the video, now you can see it properly. I'm going to have to try and get some better footage. I'm sure with a little more zoom and a very steady hand you would be able to make out some detail. The problem is it's not visible for long enough to get yourself set up. Maybe next time, in another 91 minutes....

4 comments:

LesleyinNM said...

You are awesome! I would never be able to figure out when and how to get a photo of that.

photowannabe said...

Even the wibble wobbles didn't deter from a great catch. Excellent.

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

There is a website that tells you when you can see the Space Station.
Try for a picture of the Lunar Eclipse on Feb 21, early in the morning for you, early evening for me this time.

"M2" said...

very impressive