Wednesday 26 August 2009

The Thing in the Woods...

It is a wood I know well, out in the countryside, not particularly near anywhere. Something was different. A branch out of place. Foliage that did not belong. A footprint where there shouldn't be. A tweak in the wire of the fence.
I looked closer and saw this. At first I thought it was a homeless persons stash.

A closer inspection revealed a wire, disguised with camouflaged tape. The wire led down into the leaf cover.


I followed the wire through the leaf litter along the floor of the woods...



It disappeared into what looked like a hatch.




I cleared away a little of the debris, and tentatively peeked under the edge.





Carefully I lifted up the lid. Beneath was a Peli case and two large camouflaged battereis.






I didn't attempt to open the case. I don't know what this equipment does. Maybe it's some sort of E.T. contraption 'phoning home'... (I didn't see any BMX tracks). Someone has gone to a lot of effort to conceal it. I reckon that it's got to be some sort of surveillance apparatus. The local council use spy tactics to catch people illegally dumping, and there was that incident where a postal van was set on fire here after a raid with the driver still tied up inside (he got out luckily), so it could be the police. I couldn't find any sort of a camera attached. I suppose there could be a remote camera. It's mystery, and that's why I'm going back tonight. I'll be sure to take a scanner to try and find a signal of any kind, as well as a video camera to pick up any infra red from a low light camera...








6 comments:

Lavender said...

Whoa! Secret spy stuff - just you be careful Mate! Will await your next installment on the edge of my seat.

Lavender said...

Just a thought, wouldnt it be seriously funny if you were featured on someones 'wildlife' cam/blog? ROFL

Maverick Domestic Goddess Engineering said...

cool!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to find out what it does either!!!

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

That is so cool, I would love to be with you to check it out.

I guess though that I'll just have to wait for your next installment!

El Arkangel said...

Cool. I imagine you are going to keep updating this.

4D said...

Odd indeed!

Keep smilin!